July 1, 2009

HISTORY REPEATS ITSELF (IN DANCE)

My boy (and rap veteran) Stan Ipcus also runs a boys/girls club in Westchester and he's caught some incredible footage of his kids dancing. The "Get Light" "Get Dark" movement really seems to be a real evolution of hip hop dance and is filtering into music as well. Personally I love to see the creativity of young people taking a culture and making it their own. Its the essence of what art is all about... A friend of mine (@mikemancini) twittered some old video of what seems to be a couple of guys dancing the Charleston with "Around the World" dubbed over it. When I watched it, I immediately thought about the Get Light vids I'd seen on Ips blog (westcheddar.com). If you look at the dance moves in both of these videos and the way they take turns, its uncanny how similar they are. I'm sure its completely coincidental but still amazing considering these videos are a lifetime apart.

(Make sure to play both videos at the same time but mute the top one! Crazy!)



No comments: